Updated: Apr 15, 2020
Simple dinner to make that is quick + easy! Vegan friendly, just omit the fish!
This recipe can be made in #30minutes! It is a hearty, warming dish that is amazing anytime of the year. It will leave your mouth impressed + wanting to show it off to your loved ones!
Don't be scared off from the ingredient, nutritional yeast or nooch. Nutritional yeast is a #vegan product that is made from deactivated fungus. The yeast itself is made from cane + beet molasses.
Nutritional yeast is a powerhouse of nutrients! It has protein, B vitamins, zinc, + selenium. Vegans love nutritional yeast because it contains B12. This is an essential nutrient your body needs + is most readily found in non-vegan foods so most vegans have to supplement with it.
You can find nutritional yeast in most grocery stores (bulk food or health food areas) or just buy it online!
So you don't have some of the ingredients but you REALLY want to make it?
Rice - quinoa
Tamari - soy sauce or braggs
Vegetable broth - chicken or beef broth or mix them together
Mushroom, onions, kale - whatever vegetables you got or like!
Basil, oregano, parsley - rosemary or thyme
Corn starch - flour
Mushroom Kale Gravy with Basa + Rice (serves 2)
Whats in it:
1 tbsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic minced
1 whole onion diced
A bundle of kale, de-stemmed + chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
4 tbsp corn starch (may need more depending on thickness)
2 tbsp tamari
1/2 tsp each of basil, oregano, parsley
Salt + pepper to taste
2 cups cooked brown long grain rice
2 basa fillets - fried in a pan + lemon juice squeezed on when cooked
How to cook it:
1. Add the oil to a medium sized frying pan on medium heat
2. Saute the onions + garlic for five minutes then add mushrooms + cook till their soft
3. Add the spices, broth, + yeast to the pan + mix together
4. Push all of the mixture to the side of the pan + sprinkle the corn starch a bit at a time using a whisk into the broth side of the pan till dissolved
5. Let it all come to a boil then decide if you need more to thicken it
6. Add kale + cook till kale wilts
7. Serve on cooked rice
8. Option to saute fish up in a pan separately or any other type of protein you prefer!
**Nutritional values may vary**
DID YOU TRY OUT THIS RECIPE AT YOUR HOME?
If you enjoyed this recipe like I do be sure to leave a comment/review below or share it on Instagram + tag @koachkarlee.